Wednesday 4 October 2017

Should vegans date non-vegans?


                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Vegans have a lot of life choices to make. Who to date is just one of several dilemmas that vegans have to face. The best places for vegan fish and chips in the UK It might seem like a bizarre thing to contemplate but I’ve had various discussions with vegans and non-vegans over the years on this. My boyfriend and I had a conversation a couple of years back about if we were dating now, in this modern time of online dating, would there be one thing we would look for. I said I would actively look for a vegan, maybe a veggie at a push. He seemed shocked as he was a meat-eater then. When I explained it in terms of my beliefs and values and the adjunct that neither of us would actively date a Tory (sorry Boris) then it made more sense. Anyone can date whoever they want and I would never judge anyone for who they date. I fell in love with a meat-eater when I was a vegetarian. I’m now a vegan in love with a vegetarian. We’ve both changed over the past six years. It can happen. ‘By telling them what you believe and why they will become more informed and might actually change some of their ways’. So if you are in a relationship with a non-vegan how can you make it work? Communication is key. The other person needs to know what veganism means to you and why. By telling them what you believe and why – but absolutely not in a preachy way – they will become more informed and might actually change some of their ways or attitudes. However if they never go vegan but respect your way of life that is also OK. It’s about them being able to understand where you’re coming from. If you live together then be clear about what you are and are not OK with. Do you want any non-vegan products in the house? If not that could become a massive sticking point. I was always against meat being in the house as a veggie but now I’m vegan I’m not gonna freak out if my boyfriend has butter-laden biscuits in the cupboard (he usually does). Over time he moved to plant-based milks and most other vegan products as it doesn’t make sense to buy two of everything. Would you cook meat for a non-vegan? ‘It’s important they’re understanding’

 My stance is a big fat no-no as there is no way I want to be playing with dead animals. Understanding things such as eating out – how you might have to be the person that makes more of the decisions – or what activities you might want to do on dates is an important part of any relationship, especially if it seems like one person has more control. Make sure there are areas you can relinquish to balance out the relationship if that is the case. Finally, and for me the most important, it’s important they’re understanding. If someone doesn’t get why you’re a vegan or disses you for it then they are clearly not the one for you. How do vegans feel about dating non-vegans? Raina, 22: ‘I absolutely could never date a non-vegan. If someone supports animal cruelty and torture then they’re not the one for me.’ Gregg, 29: ‘I could 100 percent date a non-vegan. It shouldn’t be a barrier and isn’t something that I have let get in the way.’ Kelsey, 27: ‘Sure, I’d like my future man to be a vegan but if I fall for someone who I’m connected with every other way then I’ll deal with it. It’s a pretty small pool after all.’ Elly, 32: ‘I’ve tried apps like Grazer with mixed responses. I’m proud to be vegan but it doesn’t define me.’ Sam, 31: ‘I’ve mainly dated non-vegans but more recently it’s been something that I’m not as willing to compromise on.’ Should vegans date non-vegans?

http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/01/should-vegans-date-non-vegans-6961581/#mv-b
Click Here For More Articles

Don't forget to opt-in to Our Healthy Living Society and get 3 free gifts while receiving the latest information on health, well-being and groundbreaking news about natural nutrition.

No comments:

Post a Comment