Friday 15 July 2016

Peace and Parsnips: Vegan Cooking for Everyone - Book

by Lee Watson (Author)   

 


In Peace and Parsnips, Lee Watson invites everyone to discover the delights of eating meat- and diary-free recipes, bursting with vitality and taste. Using fresh produce, Lee celebrates this incredibly healthy way of eating through recipes that are varied, nutritious and utterly delicious. From curries, burgers and bakes to show-stoppers for special occasions, this book is set to rock your concept of cooking vegan!
Dishes include:
- Braised Cauliflower and Puy Lentil Tabouleh
- Fragrant Wilde Rice, Curly Kale and Pistachio Salad
- Pakistani Pumpkin and Beetroot Bhuna
- Chickpea, Squash and Apricot Burgers
- Roasted Chestnut and Fennel Casserole
- Rustic Apple and Whisky Marmalade Tart
- Raw Blueberry and Macadamia Cheesecake
Save money, feel healthier and be amazed at the incredible new flavours in your life.

Reviews
5.0 out of 5 stars The Cookbook Which Redefines Veganism
By Nicholas Peart on 30 Jun. 2015
Format: Hardcover
This is a stunning book crammed full of delicious and highly innovative recipes. For me this is more than just a standard vegan cookbook. It is a compendium of awesomely healthy and tasty recipes for everyone, not solely vegans. I am a non-vegan yet from time to time I like to have good and tasty no-nonsense food, which is meat and diary free. This book has been perfect for me in this respect.

Some of the recipes are off the wall. The veggie burger and falafel recipes are top notch. The Portobello Pecan Burger with Roasted Pumpkin Wedges recipe is seriously something as is the Chickpea, Squash and Apricot Burgers with a Red Onion, Orange and Black Olive Salad recipe (takes falafels to another level).

I am a huge fan of Indian/South Asian cuisine and this book certainly does not disappoint. The ‘Curries’ section has some really exotic, hearty and delicious curry recipes. The Keralan Coconut and Vegetable Curry with Pineapple and Watermelon Salad is a truly exquisite and wonderfully tasty south Indian dish. I also highly rate the Kashmiri Turnip and Spinach Curry with Beetroot Raita and the Pakistani Pumpkin and Beetroot Bhuna with Banana and Lime Raita.

The dessert section (‘Sweet Treats’) of this book is a veritable delight. Particular favourites are the Raw Spiced Apple and Date Pie (an amazingly tasty and inventive raw dessert composed of apples, dates and cashews and walnuts), the Choc and Beet brownies (the richest and most delicious brownies I’ve ever tasted), and the Brazil Nut and Chocolate Spelt Cookies (delicious and very easy to make. Its also a brilliant recipe if you don’t have loads of free time to cook and would make great and highly appreciated treats for friends and family members).

This is an outstanding cookbook and a real labour of love.
Comment 45 people found this helpful. 
5.0 out of 5 stars "I love this book!"
By Jo on 13 May 2015
Format: Hardcover Verified Purchase
I love this book. Being a meat eater who is trying to reduce the number of meat meals we have in our house, I needed inspiration. This book is colourful and well thought out. The burgers are fab and the breads gorgeous. It is an intelligent cookbook with a light hearted feel. I have bought another for a family member.
Comment 18 people found this helpful.
 
5.0 out of 5 stars I want to live in this book!
By lucyviolet on 12 May 2015
Format: Hardcover Verified Purchase
I bought this book because I needed an inspiring cookbook for my food/eating habits (I am vegan). When it arrived I instantly loved the cover, the feel of the book, the style of presentation - photos, travelling tales and discoveries of spices and herbs from around the globe - all integrated and resulting in fabulous tastes and smells which conjure up the places visited and mentioned in the book. The size of it surprised me as I didn't expect it to be so big. But it's full of ideas, ones that I can manage; nothing is too complicated. There may be some ingredients that aren't usually in my cupboard but as I say I'm looking for inspiration as I'm rather tired of my ingredients and personal home made recipes! There is clarity in the presentation, a friendliness and humour that comes across and makes it a most enjoyable read - particularly all the info about what certain foods do and how they can be naturally medicinal, with information on vitamin and mineral content. It has really interesting sections for all kinds of meals and juices, smoothies (which I am currently addicted too!). Lee's personal exploration into choosing to be vegan is quite a journey - honest open and written from a place of no pressure which I enjoyed ready a lot. So I recommend it highly - from a good-looking book POV, for its clarity - 'thinking out of the box' recipes, from a vegan's POV and because good vegan cookery books worth buying and having are not that easy to find these days. And I want to live in this book!
Comment 29 people found this helpful.



Click Here For More Article




No comments:

Post a Comment