Monday 21 September 2015

Ginger Carrot Salad with Quinoa








On occasion, one fail in the kitchen can turn into something very unexpected. Take for example, this salad. The shredded carrots started at as a filling for a stuffed pepper. My goal had been to have a breakfast pepper, complete with a baked egg. I tried and tried but the results were always the same- a tough egg yolk. I hated it but I had all of this shredded carrot mixture leftover at which point, I added it to lettuce and called it a day. I’ve since eaten this carrot salad nearly every day for lunch and I don’t regret not getting the pepper to work.
The best part in my mind: if you are using quinoa leftovers, this salad comes together in 5 minutes (and while I recommend you let it sit for a bit, it could really be eaten right away.) But, even if you don’t have extra quinoa sitting around- it’s such a quick cooking grain that it still keeps this meal quick.

Pairings for the Carrot Salad

As I’ve been doing these pairings, I’ve realized the lack of quick and simple side dishes on the site. This salad is another attempt to make up for that. I can easily eat this for lunch every day, with a few beans thrown on top (or if you’re a tofu fan, I think fried tofu would be wonderful here as well). However, I think it makes for a great dinner companion.
App: Potstickers. When I’m going to use soy sauce (or bragg amino acid), I’m going to use it. I’ve also been known to just eat salad and potstickers for an entire meal. 
Main: Really this salad would work well for most main dishes but I’ve found I love it in place of slaw next to a good veggie burger.
Ginger Carrot Salad with Quinoa
 
Prep time
Total time
 
Serves: 2 servings
  • 2 cups shredded carrots
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa
  • ¼ cup minced scallion
  • 3 tablespoons tamari
  • 1 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
  • 1 teaspoon honey (or vegan sub)
  • 4 to 5 handfuls baby arugula or other spicy green
  • sesame seeds, for topping
  1. In a small, combine the shredded carrots, cooked quinoa, and scallions. In a separate bowl, whisk together the tamari, rice wine vinegar, ginger, and honey. Pour over the carrot mixture and toss until well combined. Let sit for 20 minutes.
  2. Toss carrot mixture with handfuls of greens and sprinkle with sesame seeds to serve.


http://naturallyella.com/

Click Here For More Articles

No comments:

Post a Comment